Thursday, March 6, 2008

Random Wolves Thoughts + Twins Observation

So, I’ve been kind of slow updating the ol’ blog, but can you blame me? What can be said with trade deadline being over and the Wolves making this season of Rock of Love look like No Country for Old Men? At least March Madness is coming around the corner, so I can my fix of gambling, drinking, basketball ranting and meth smoking (what?...that's a joke ladies...)

Instead of a full blog, here are my random Wolves comments over the past week and a half:

1) Kirk Snyder is a good glue/9th player off of the bench. I’d be happy keeping him around but not at the expense of major minutes being taken away from McCant, as was the case last night against Utah. Speaking of Meth, what is Wittman thinking here? Sure, McCants was playing like an ass, but let’s get serious, McCants means a lot more to this franchise whether he booms or busts. McHale should step up and explain to Wittman that the "lesson teaching" for the year is over, and it's organizational evaluation time. I'm positive Wittman would run a McDonald's into the ground if he was managing...

2) Telfair needs to get serious with his shot this off-season. I’m to the point where he’s won me over, I appreciate his play-making ability, speed and defense, but now he has to take it to the next level by putting the ball in the hole for me to truly respect him as a player. The 3 foot layup that barely hit rim last night was even more awkward than Brad Childress reading Green Eggs and Ham in the NFL Cares program...or whatever their version is...

3) I’ve got to say, it’s really nice not having Antoine Walker on the court. As I said in the beginning of the year, I’m a pure young-players-only guy for the franchise at this point in its development. I was happy with Antoine’s better-than-expected behavior for the first part of the year, but now that Foye’s back and serious decisions need to be made in upcoming months, I’m happy that Fatty is nowhere to be found.

4) If any team wants Marko for anything other than a worse contract, he’s got to go. It’s just annoying seeing him on the court when we could be evaluating Foye, McCants, Brewer and Telfair.

5) Richard is going to need at least a full year of 10+ minutes per game next year for us to even see what we could have with him. I’m not sure he’ll get that fair opportunity...

6) Last night’s game against the Jazz was the first game I turned a Wolves game off in the first not due to obligation since 2006 or so…I had a much better time unloading my dishwasher and using the broom on the broken vodka bottle behind my bar...

7) Everyone pray Wittman takes the Hoosier’s job…win-win...or win-win-win-win situation...

8) I’m still confident Brewer will be a solid starter at the 3 in this league…at least...

9) Can this draft’s strengths match up worse with our roster? Tough decisions will have to be made no matter who we draft…

I’m not going to lie—-last night’s game was unbearable and my interest is waning considerably. Though I’ll still continue to evaluate the young guards and the upcoming draft class, I wouldn’t expect too many meaningful Wolves contributions on my part until pre-draft workouts.

For now, I’m mostly interested in the Twins….

…which leads me to this—Is there anyone in MLB that has a better chance to replace Manny Ramirez as baseball’s King of Unintentional Comedy than our very own CARLOS GOMEZ?

Check out some recent quotes from Gomez in Pioneer Press:

“Gomez has had a bounce in his step since he arrived in Fort Myers. A key figure in the Johan Santana trade, he is convinced he is about to become an impact player with the Twins.
"Sure!" he said the other day. "They don't have no speed like me. I know I can help this team. Especially when I hit ahead of Morneau and the catcher and the other guy."
……….
Carlos Gomez was asked if he thought it would be difficult to play center field in the quirky Metrodome.
"If Torii Hunter can catch the ball there, why can't I catch it there?" he said matter-of-factly.
………..
"My dad was fast," Gomez said. "When I was a kid and I worked out with my older friends, they all worked out so hard for their running. I do nothing. They say, 'Why are you so fast when you
don't do nothing?' I tell them that my dad was fast."


One of the reporters needs to man up and get some classic quotes from Gomez about Denard Span and anything else in the world before Gardy makes him shut his mouth. I’m loving this guy right now.



King of Comedy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's gotta be Rose man. That's all. Not Beasley, not a project like Jordan, just Rose.

Gomez rules. You're dead on about getting mroe quotes... hopefully no one puts the clamps down, because guys with personality keep fans interested.

Unknown said...

Nice post DFC. I have almost completely tuned out of Wolves at this point. I haven't posted on Wolves chat in weeks, except in non-Wolves related threads. The terrible run a few weeks ago did it for me. Thank God for college basketball and spring training ... and real life, I guess.

Nice find on Gomez. I will have to keep an eye on that guy. Comedy gold.

-MattyP

Anonymous said...

If any team wants Marko for anything other than a worse contract, he’s got to go. It’s just annoying seeing him on the court when we could be evaluating Foye, McCants, Brewer and Telfair.

This a typical take from a wanna be media type who has to settle for making up a blog.